Sign up for Newsletter - Blog Talk Radio ShowsShows

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sometimes life gets a little crazy!



Victoria knew she should have packed the night before, and now she was stuck with everyone in her room and nothing to wear. She wanted to scream, but didn’t. She was very superstitious and hated flying, so she had her own rituals to followincluding never getting mad before a flight. The way she saw it, she didn’t want to be remembered that way if she never came back.

When she was trying to be diplomatic, her sister’s help was the last thing she wanted. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, Ava. Remember last time? When I got a room with no shower because my plane made three stopovers and they were all late?”

“One isolated incident. There was a shower down the hall.”

“I know, I remember. There was also no soap in the bathroom. Shall I go on?”

Ava looked at her sister in the matter-of-fact way she had done so many times before. “Please do. I love to hear that story. You’ve told the damn story to everyone we know. Sometimes, even to strangers.”

“Fine,” Victoria said. “Just get me on the next flight out. I can be ready in half an hour. Thank you.”

Victoria opened her suitcase, put it on the bed, and started throwing in her clothes. Her taxi was on the way. Since a shower had been ruled out, she sprayed herself with perfume, put on a dab of lip gloss, and was ready to go. She kissed her kids goodbye and ran out. Michael was standing there, wondering if she would kiss him goodbye too, but she didn’t. “Michael, make sure everything is okay.”

Grace was already outside with the cab. The taxi didn’t look like it could make it to the airport, but Victoria just got in, figuring she would either die in the taxi or on the plane. With her attitude, it was a wonder she traveled at all.

Grace closed the door. “Don’t worry, dear, I’ve got it covered. Your kids will be safe. Michael will help.”

As Victoria looked back at her kids, she closed her eyes and prayed. “God watch over this house, because it looks like things are going to be up for grabs.”

The cab driver looked back at her. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. I shouldn’t ask this, but I will. How fast can you go? I don’t want to be late. I already missed one flight.”

“Not a problem, Señorita.” He knew what she meant; this wasn’t his first rodeo. He hit the pedal, and they were on their way.

The ride was a little bouncy, but it was the fastest trip to the airport that Victoria had ever had. She looked at her watch and took a deep breath. “You just saved my life.”

Que dios este contigo.”

Victoria turned back and smiled. “Meaning?”

“May God be with you,” the driver translated.

“I hope so. Thanks.”

And off they went!

To read more - To buy

No comments:

Post a Comment